Saturday, September 6, 2008

Reviews: August 27, 2008 (part 2)

Adam Strange Special 1
So like I said in the picklist entry, I'm only getting this because it's tied in with the Rann-Thanagar mess (notice how you can't merge the two, like Bennifer, because Ranagar is a place?), and I'm only reading that because I kind of liked the interactions in the Countdown to Adventure mini, even though I hate the hell out of the whole Holy War thing.

So anyway, when I saw the cover, the first thing I thought was, "Is that supposed to be the Spectre?" I mean, wrong color scheme and all, but same wonky pointed hood, and he's Rilly, Rilly Big. Of course, it's actually Synnar.

And you know something funny? I really liked this book. It was wicked cool, with Adam bouncing through time, finding out things that may or may not lie in his future. It's enough to actually restore some interest in the Holy War series for me. Particularly the part where Sardath apologizes to him and admits he was wrong. That part has really bugged me. It's not like I was ever really fond of Sardath, but the whole conversion thing really felt to me like DC taking a swipe at religion. Like if a scientist becomes religious, he's bound to become a total psycho about it. It's nice to see that that isn't going to last forever.

Manhunter 34
Bad art alert. Ugh.

GAHHHHH! Ramsey's grandfather pulled his puppy's head off! That's just gross, not to mention cruel. There has to have been a better way to show that the dog is a robot. Couldn't he have opened a side panel, or something?

And what's with Boomerang Jr? I thought he decided to be a good guy, no? He was hanging out with Kara over in Supergirl and all... when did he go over to the Dark Side? Oh... he didn't. Kate really isn't that good at this stuff, is she? It's a little endearing, actually. She's really trying, but the world is a bit more complicated than she's able to see. And you know... I think I'm glad. Sometimes right and wrong is simple. Saving those women takes priority over the Big Picture for Kate. It might for me, too.

And wow... I bet there's going to be a huge uproar about Todd and Damon kissing. It's okay for them to be gay (just barely), but no PDA. Right... The 'phobes are going to be out in force this time.

See you all next week.

No comments: